Posted by: Bethany Davis | May 17, 2011

The birthing experience (part 1)

The weekend before I was induced, Brian and I attended our birthing class at the hospital. I was amazed at the couples who were 2+ months out from their due dates – they must be J’s on the myers briggs. (We were the closest being only 26 days away!) Among other things, we learned the stages of labor, positions to ease the pain, medication options, and how to breathe through contractions. Little did I know how quickly we’d be putting our knowledge to action…

photo taken on Thursday before labor began

On Wednesday, April 27th, I decided to walk to my 37 weeks doctor’s appointment, which was about 1.5 miles from our loft. Despite feeling great, my blood pressure was abnormally high and I had protein in my urine. Together, these equalled concern for Preeclampsia. After a quick ultrasound and the affirmation that the baby was healthy, two words set me into a tail spin — “induce” and “today.”

I was in shock. “What about my exams the next day? My final sessions with my clients? How would I graduate? I walked here. How would I get to the hospital? I have to call Brian.”

At 12:15 pm, Brian was in the midst of the CFA lunch rush and his voice on the phone mirrored the deer-in-the-headlights feeling I had! We were going to have the baby! Surprise!

Brian’s cousin, Tara, who works at the office, offered to take me back to Brumby to pack for the hospital. (Yet another detail I hadn’t prepared in advance!) I walked in our loft and my mind went blank. Suddenly, I had no idea what to pack!

With Tara’s help, we were quickly arriving at the hospital. My mom was about to start driving to Marietta from Raleigh and Brian was on his way beat us to hospital (he must’ve made haste getting out of CFA and up I75!). My blood pressure registered more stable, and as Brian mentioned earlier, the hospital was full so were sent home. It was back to the books and exams for Wednesday night, then it felt like a waiting game on Thursday — until 11:30 pm rolled around.

Now, finally, it was time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: